After 75 beers were consumed during a 15-stop bar hop, Saucy Brew Works was announced Best Brewery in Cleveland! Four judges smelled, swirled and tasted craft beers all across the seven-county Northeast Ohio region, visiting the 15 breweries that cleveland.com readers voted into the finals. Consider this: Readers nominated about 75 local breweries for inclusion in the contest. 46 advanced to the poll, where readers voted nearly 27,000 times to determine the 15 finalists.
The judges, who determined the results, were certified beer judge Andrew Mitchell of Willoughby, cleveland.com beer and critic Marc Bona and reporters Hayden Grove and Seth Richardson.
The taste test consisted of five beers: four year-round brews and one seasonal/limited edition offering. We chose:
- Habituale, Kolsch-Style Ale
- IPA ASAP, American India Pale Ale
- Caught in the Rain, Sour IPA
- Modern Crimes, Toasted Coconut Porter
- Double Chocolate Cherry Nibbly, Dessert Stout
Here is what the judges had to say:
- Marc Bona: "The brewery is simply making fantastic beers in Hingetown and is not afraid to experiment. Sour-IPA hybrid? I’ll have another please. Bonus: Eric Anderson is keen on his punny beer names."
- Andrew Mitchell: "Saucy Brew Works sets itself apart by artfully balancing each of their offerings. Regardless of traditional style or unusual ingredients employed, the flavors blend perfectly with one another and leave the drinker longing for the next sip."
- Hayden Grove: "Saucy Brew Works was big and bold on flavor, but surprisingly balanced as well. The combination of bold flavor and balanced beer put them firmly at the top of the rankings."
- Seth Richardson: "Their beer was diverse, creative and delicious. They took risks and executed extremely well."
Thank you Cleveland.com & cheers to all of the breweries that made the Top 15… lots of great tasting beer in Northeast Ohio and we are honored to hold the ultimate title: Best Brewery in Cleveland!